Friday, December 23, 2011

Favorite Friday!

My favorite time of year - Christmas!

I love, love, love Christmas!  I grew up with some very specific traditions around Christmas time and I always loved that part of it.  Now that I am all grown up (whether I want to be or not) I am trying to have some traditions for my kiddos to cherish.  Some of the traditions are the same ones I had growing up.  After all if I loved them maybe they will also. 
  • One such tradition is always opening presents between family members on Christmas Eve.  This may seem silly to others.  Why does it matter when the presents are opened?  To me there are several reasons to do this.  1.  It spreads out the fun of Christmas.  2.  It makes both sets of presents special.  If Santa's presents were received the same time as those from mom and dad then the chances are G and C would not even know which ones came from who.  Of course, at their current ages this isn't such a big concern, but traditions are best when they start early (in my opinion).  3.  This way we can start another tradition.  G and C always get Christmas pj's as a present they open Christmas Eve.  
  • Another tradition is that Santa sets up the presents unwrapped instead of wrapped.  I can remember coming out into the living room growing up and seeing the pile of presents that was mine and immediately seeing something that made me thrilled.  I know that some might like their child(ren) having to wait on that excitement until they rip the paper off, but to me the waiting part has already taken place at that point and it should be about nothing but pure ecstasy.
  • Another tradition I HOPE we can have our children start that I did growing up is that each Christmas all 3 of us kiddos would get up and all come out to the living room together.  But before we could head out there we would get our beds made up (we never made our beds the rest of the year), brushed our teeth, and made sure everything was perfect.  Also we did this all at like 5 in the morning.  I have no idea why we did this, but it was something all of us wanted to do each year.  In this case the reason behind it is not important, just the fact that it felt right to us and made us feel like Christmas morning was really there.  I remember once my sister was married and out of the house it felt so strange to not have her there with us going to see what Santa had left us.  One change that I hope G and C will have over us is that I hope they will come out in their Chrismas pj's from the night before.  We always got completely dressed before coming out.
  • One tradition we are doing that I did not do growing up is the Elf on the Shelf.  I know everyone knows about this tradition so I don't think I will go into it.  I will say, however, that so far our elf - Wiggles - has not had a positive effect on Gray (and obviously not Clara).  He doesn't get it yet and I wish I had waited 1 more year.
  • Another tradition that we didn't always do growing up, but did happen most years.  I want G and C to always wake up in their own home on Christmas morning.  This is due to several reasons.  1. To me home is important.  That is where the kids will feel most, well at home.  At home they are free to completely be themselves.  2.  (Selfish reason) I do not want to share the special memories/time of Christmas morning with anyone else.  I love both sides of our family dearly, but I want Christmas morning to be just about the 4 of us.  3.  (Lazy reason) I do NOT want to haul Santa presents to another location and then haul them back home again!
I know that we will come up with more traditions as time goes, but for now I think that covers it.  For those that are worried about poor hubby in all this.  As I was typing this up I realized it was all about what I wanted and asked him if there were any traditions he wanted to have for Christmas that he had growing up and he said, "hrm....presents."  hehe  

No comments:

Post a Comment